Food Act 2014 - Where Do You Fit?
September 21, 2015 at 4:04 PM
What do new food safety rules mean for you? Find out now!
Food Control Plan? National Programme? Confused? Food laws are changing from March next year, and you need to be prepared. If you don’t know how the new Food Act applies to you, MPI has developed a great new tool to help you find out. Visit the MPI website and use ‘Where Do I Fit?’ http://www.mpi.govt.nz/food-safety/food-act-2014/where-do-i-fit/
The new Food Act 2014 recognises that businesses are different. How you are regulated will depend on the type of food you make or sell, and the level of food safety risk involved. Businesses that are involved with higher risk activities like making cheese or preparing meals, will be regulated differently from those involved in lower risk activities like selling pre-packaged goods or growing vegetables. The new Act comes into force on 1 March 2016, but existing businesses will be given time to transition to the new rules over a three-year period from 1 March 2016 – 28 February 2019.
To find out more, check out Where do I fit?
For your information: more about the tool
• The purpose of the tool is to give any food business or food provider a quick and easy way to find out how the new Food Act 2014 will apply to them.
• By answering a series of yes or no questions, you will be able to find out whether you need a Food Control Plan, a National Programme, or are exempt from operating with either– and can click links to more information.
• Once you have answered all the questions, you can view your questions and answers at the bottom of the page.
• You need to go through the tool separately for each food activity that you do (for example if you operate a manufacturing bakery and also run a café on site you would need to run through the tool for the bakery and then again for the cafe).
• The tool lets you print your questions and answers and view all the outcomes. This function is useful if you have queries about the results.