Shane Hopgood – Managing Director
Food Safety Programmes, Risk Management Programmes, Training and Auditing
Shane has developed more than 50 food safety management systems (Food Safety Programmes/Food Control Plans/Risk Management Programmes) that have been registered with the Ministry for Primary Industries. So he has a detailed understanding of practical approaches to compliance that meet regulatory requirements, and that actually work.
Shane is also an experienced and well regarded coach, facilitator and trainer.
He regularly presents customised food safety related training courses and workshops, to food businesses in many sectors including:
- Primary processing
- Food manufacturing
- Food retail
Shane's work overseas includes contracting to the Food and Agriculture Organization (the UN Food Agency) from 2008 - 2012, as an International Consultant on Food Hygiene, HACCP and Good Manufacturing Practices. More recently he has been developing and presenting Food Labelling and Shelf Life, Good Hygienic Practices (Foodservice sector) and Good Manufacturing Practices training workshops with the Mekong Institute, under the New Zealand Aid funded ProSafe Progamme (https://www.mekonginstitute.org/what-we-do/ongoing-projects/food-safety-capability-project/)
As an International Consultant, Shane has provided training and consultancy services in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Tanzania.
Shane is also a Food Act evaluator and verifier/auditor with Assured Audits NZ Ltd
- Food laboratory microbiologist
- National food safety manager
- Food quality consultant
- Food safety trainer and regulatory auditor
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF)
- AgriQuality Ltd (the successor to MAF)
- Woolworths New Zealand Ltd
Memberships & affiliations
- New Zealand Institute of Food Science and Technology (NZIFST) – professional member
- Inspection Body Professional Advisory Committee for International Accreditation New Zealand (IANZ)
- IANZ technical expert in the fields of Food Safety Programme Auditing, and Microbiology (Dairy, Meat, Food and Water testing)