09 846 8492

Food and Beverage Importer Support

We have been working with food and beverage importers for more than 15 years, helping them to meet regulatory, and key customer (i.e. retail supermarket chain) requirements.  This includes setting up robust food safety and traceability processes, assisting with labelling reviews to meet local requirements, and providing support when things go wrong.

We also conduct assessments of food importers who wish to supply the Foodstuffs group of supermarkets and wholesale stores (Pak ‘N Save, New World, 4 Square, Gilmours, and Trents).  Find out more about this HERE

What Do Importers Need to do to meet the Food Act requirements?

If you want to import food or beverages for sale in New Zealand you must register annually as a food importer with MPI, or use an agent who is registered. 

Registered importers are recorded in a public database

Note that unregistered importers will have their consignments held until they gain their food importer registration (FIMP#).

All food importers are responsible for meeting the food safety requirements outlined in the Food Act 2014. These include:

  • confirming the safety and suitability of food they will be importing (e.g. food safety registration/certification for overseas suppliers, technical specifications for imported products)
  • ensuring safe handling, storing and transporting of food (including temperature management, prevention of contamination, stock rotation, management of damaged or expired products)
  • keeping good records for traceability (from overseas supplier through to retailer)
  • being prepared to recall food if it is not safe or suitable.

In addition, food for sale in New Zealand must comply with the Australia and New Zealand Food Standards Code. This Code details rules about what’s allowed and not allowed in your food, and how it must be labelled when it comes to be sold.

More information on importing 

Becoming a registered importer:

You can apply to be a registered food importer using the link below.

Note that these applications are made through the New Zealand Customs Service (NZ Customs), using their process for assigning client codes and registering to use the Trade Single Window.

  • Food importers should apply using the customs form 224 – ticking the 'Yes' box for Food Importer, and completing page 3 of the form.

Visit the NZ Customs website to download the application form (Form 224)

As an importer, you must meet all relevant New Zealand legislation.

MPI - Importing processed food requirements

MPI - Importing food

Find out more about importing food –

Read these guides to learn more about importing food into New Zealand.


Back to list of AFS Consultancy Services.