Vibrio parahaemolyticus is a naturally occurring bacteria found in seawater and occurs when warmer temperatures during summer are favourable for growth. Summer 2021-2022 has seen an increase in reporting of illness from this bacterium. The majority have involved people who have gathered raw shellfish and eaten them raw, or lightly cooked, although in some instances cases have identified commercial sources that may be implicated. In response, New Zealand Food Safety is communicating with growers, gatherers, retailers and consumers to tackle the issue.
Further information can be found at:
- Important advice to thoroughly cook mussels information sheet
- Don't eat raw or undercooked mussels social media graphic
- Don't eat raw or undercooked mussels A3 poster